Fundraising with aRE
Buttons and magnets can be a great way to raise awareness and funds for a cause or organization, and I love having the opportunity to help out non-profits I like. There are three main ways we can do that:
1. Custom Buttons - I can make you custom buttons, magnets, etc for your organization or event at significantly reduced rates. (Non-profits are eligible for the 5k+ prices in this chart no matter what quantity they're ordering.) You can give them away to raise awareness, or sell them to raise funds.
2. Vending at your event - If you’re in the Denver metro area and expect 50 or more people at your meeting or event, you can invite me as a vendor. I’ll bring my full catalog of designs and sell buttons to your attendees, and you’ll get half of the proceeds, paid in your choice of cash or free buttons. And don’t worry, for non-partisan charities I have a special version of my displays that leaves out some of the more controversial political buttons so that it doesn’t make anyone feel unwelcome.
3. Special Web Coupons - I’ll set up a coupon for your organization that gives members free shipping on orders of $15 or more, which you can publicise on your website or in your newsletter. Whenever someone places an order using that coupon, you get half the proceeds, again in either cash or free buttons.
Now, this program is something I do because I like supporting good causes, not because it’s particularly profitable. I’m basically volunteering for your organization, so I’m going to give priority to the causes I care most about personally. But if you think your organization might qualify, it’s definitely worth a try. Here are some basic guidelines:
Causes I’m likely to support:
1. Medical research, especially for the sorts of lesser-known genetic diseases that have trouble getting research funding.
2. GLBT Rights
3. Women’s Shelters and clinics
4. Disability Rights
5. Autism-related organisations that focus on services, especially services for adults on the Spectrum
6. Interfaith organizations and organizations trying to fight Islamaphobia
7. Service Dog organizations and efforts to raise money for individual service dogs
Causes I’m unlikely to support
1. Organizations that take public stands against the rights of others, especially the GLBT community and Muslims, and organizations that are publicly anti-Choice.
2. Autism-related organisations that focus on “cures” or exclude autistic adults from their leadership.
3. Organizations that provide advanced medical care to animals. I know there are people who disagree with me, but I believe very firmly that putting an animal through chemo or similarly intrusive medical care instead of euthanizing it is an act of unpardonable animal cruelty.
4. Republicans, Tea Parties, and other conservative political organizations.